Tuesday, March 11, 2014

4 Life Lessons I Have Learned from the Gym

4 Life lessons I learned from the gym.

Ok lets just cut the crap and dive right into it:
  • This is the only place on earth where your failure makes you a success.  With every set that you complete to failure it signifies how hard you pushed you mental, emotional, and physical limits to the max without stopping and breaking all of your own barriers.  The iron never lightens up as we do as humans, it’s always cold and unforgiving of what you can do and what you can’t do.  It’s up to you to push through the weakness and do just one more rep and if you don’t… Well then its your loss, you had the chance to be the great one even if you were the only one who noticed.  If you give up to soon you will never know how boundless you could have been and that in itself is what keeps me coming back for more and keeps me working when the work will never be done.  Just one more rep.

  • Only discipline is allowed in this house.  I was talking to a friend the other day and he was telling me that his group of friends doesn’t get the reason why he goes to the gym all the time. Of course they don’t get it, they don’t go to the gym so they don’t understand what it means; the soreness and why that warrants bragging rights for that week, the Ruler of the World feeling as you’re walking to your car after a leg day workout, or after spending months working towards a single goal to finally achieving it to have only a moment of glory because its back to work to refine it and turn another physique weakness into a strength. This is a life style, sure there are people who workout so they can look good for Saturday night’s short sleeved Affliction (douchey move btw) shirt, but they still follow the rules of discipline and dedication to the body they created and want to keep.  This is not the place for excuses, the faint of heart or the lazy spirit.  The gym is a place for priority and a place to practice discipline and follow through.  Check the rest of the shit at the door.

  • The gym is vainer than any Hollywood Red Carpet Event.  In life in general it's every person for themselves and the gym is the most authentic place to find that.  Everyone shows their true colors with the first set as they check their body out as they warm up.  I have people tell me all the time “I don’t want everyone looking at me!”  People come to the gym to work on themselves, which involves a definite level of narcissism and vanity.  There are giant mirrors everywhere and if you just look around at a glance everyone is using them to check themselves out.  I can couldn’t tell you what the guy on the bench next to me is wearing but I can tell you how my ass looks in these pant I’ve got on or if I think I need to start hitting cardio more and backing off the pizza on the weekends.  But then again I’m not here to check out the guy next to me I’m here to check myself out and to work on me.  Anyone can tell you I can be the biggest bitch when I am working out, when the head phones go in, the game face on, and that means I’m here to get work done. I don’t care about you or anyone else when I am in that moment the only thing I’m worried about is me.  My advice if you’re feeling averse to walking in the gym; walk in there like you own that shit, like you’re a seasoned gymer and know what the hell you’re doing.  People will look you up and down then decide that you’re good and will leave you be to go back to checking themselves out.

  •  Average Joe to hero in just a short time.  I see more success stories about people that come to the gym and change their ENTIRE lives because they started working out!  I’ve seen so many people that were at very best very mediocre then decide to make a change then the rest of their life changed with it because they start to get a confidence that they didn’t have before, they start to expect more of themselves and the people around them, they become more optimistic, and learn how to create their life instead of just living it.  These aren’t people who have anything special they are just Average Joes that decided to make a change, stick to it, and become something better than what they were before which is something that anyone can do with a effort and consistency.  Not many other places allow you to become elite like that without paying huge monthly dues.  Here you can be a hero for $30 a month.



Going to the gym has taught me so much about myself as a person, my limits as I perceive them and what they actually are.  It has taught me a lot about people and how different yet how alike we all are, and has helped me form closer and tighter bonds with my friends because it is an unspoken understanding of the one another.  This place is for connection of minds, body’s, and souls.  This is more than a hobbies it’s a passion.  This place is more than something I do.  It defines me and has given me character and resolve.  It has given me glimmers of hope and purpose even in my darkest days and has been the one consistent thing in my life that has been in a constant transition, even when I stray it’s always waiting for my return and lets me pick right back up where I left off.  The gym is the by far the best thing that has ever happened to me. 

1 comment: