Saturday, December 14, 2013

3 Reasons Why You Should Dump Your Accountability Partner.

I am here to tell you that you need to dump your "accountability" partner.  In all of my years of training myself and clients I have seen only about .5%, and that is a gross over estimation, of accountability partners actually hold each other accountable.

1.  No follow through.  Now don't get me wrong accountability partnerships are REALLY well intentioned and I definitely see why they seem like such a good idea but lets face it they last about 2 weeks.  I have even fallen into this trap and thought "Oh if I have a friend keep me on task then I will definitely reach my goal."  The fact of the matter is that the friend I usually have to keep me on track is working towards the same goal and has the same down falls.  You'll have to excuse the crudeness of my example but I am about to give but it's to prove my point, its like a crack addict trying to keep another crack addict away from crack.  Did you really think that was going to work?

2.  Not that committed.  Lets face it, your "accountability" partner more than likely has commitment issues to their goals like you do!  Do you really think that someone who has a hard time making time to go to the gym or following their diet is going to be committed to your success.  No not so much!  After the third or fourth week that partner is HOPING you'll forget so that they can "forget" also or hoping you forget because they are getting tired of pulling your ass.

3.  Not today.  Its easy to say "I can't make it today" or "I'm going to cheat on my diet tonight" when you have an accountability partner.  Here's the thing with that, if you decide that you just CAN'T make it to the gym tonight and you'll meet up with your partner the next time, usually the accountability partner won't really argue with you and will let it just happen because who are they to tell you you can't miss, or if they are good about telling you that you have to make it to the gym, you don't want to hear it so you let yourself fall off... Because again who are they to tell you anything!

The fix:  You can't commit to anyone if you can't commit to yourself first on top of that you can't commit to a person who has the same bad habits as you.  Your best bet is to hire a trainer or a coach, someone who will stay on your ass, will see through your bull shit and call you on it, on top of that there is a financial investment that you are making which greatly increases your chance for success because not only do you have the constant reminder of having to pay someone for their service towards your goals but the person you hired is going (or should) give you the best of themselves so that they keep you as a client and keep their money rolling in.
OR,  you can find someone who already has the habits you want and use them as a mentor and a role model they have a lot to teach you about how they do it.  However you need to add value to them, don't be that person who is a motivation sucker.  If you do become one of those suckers it real good way to get yourself uninvited to be around that person.  Be attentive, listen, learn, react, and drop the accountability partner.

Please leave your comments, questions, concerns at the bottom or email me fitnesswerqs@gmail.com I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment